Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Principal's Role as Instructional Leader

I feel that our principal, Jaime Espinoza, doesn't really portray himself as the instructional leader. He makes sure to place that hat on the Curriculum and Instruction assistant principal, Susan Downs. When approaching him with creating a transition team for next year, he simply told me to go talk to Susan about it since she's the one involved with the curriculum. I feel as though the principal should be the driving force behind the instruction. All of the teachers need to know his actual thoughts straight from his mouth. When Susan tells us, "Jaime said that we need to have word walls..." it takes the true importance out of the equation. If Jaime comes and tells us about it, then we know it's important and it's what he feels. When it comes from someone else, it takes the importance away. I hope that when the new school opens, he'll become the instructional leader.

No comments: