Tuesday, April 17, 2007

4/12/07: CLASE Meetings (1.5 Hours)

For my last 1.5 practicum hours, I observed/help/facilitated the 8th grade assistant principal, David Strickland, prepare for the CLASE meeting and conference. This CLASE conference is taking place this summer through the University of Georgia. It's a conference in which teams learn strategies that help the ESOL student succeed in the regular education classroom. I helped David gather all of the documents as well as submit the application in order to be approved for this one of a kind position. We will be the only team there representing Gwinnett County.
As we met as a team, David basically let me facilitate the meeting. I passed out the information that I knew as well as discussed the housing assignments for the summer conference as well as gathered all of the documents. I like being placed in this type of leadership role. These teachers were here for a reason; they all wanted to learn the new strategies to improve student achievement. Being in a leadership position in this situation is what I would love to do; however, it's so hard to ensure that this is the position that I would get, that it still makes me leary of becoming an assistant principal. There are so many things that I have learned that I dislike about the job, that I'm almost tempted to continue to stay in teaching the rest of my career.

No comments: